Sharp Football’s Rich Hribrar breaks down this 49ers vs Eagles NFC Conference Championship for the 3:00pm ET kickoff on Sunday, Jan 29:
We have not seen this matchup yet this season, but the top two seeds in the NFC both reached the Conference Championship doing what they do best last weekend.
The Eagles cleaned up against the Giants, winning 38-7. They went up 14-0 in the first quarter and 28-0 at the half and never looked back. This has been the case with the Eagles all season.
The Eagles have been the hottest starting team on offense early in games.
Philadelphia leads the NFL in:
- points per drive (3.16),
- touchdown rate per drive (39.8%),
- and scoring rate per drive (53.1%) in the first half of games this season.
Their 6.4 yards per play in the first half are second only to the Chiefs in the opening half. The Eagles have outscored their opponents by 149 points in the first half this season, the largest differential in the league. No team in the NFL has trailed for fewer second half snaps than the Eagles this season.
This will be a strong test of the best scoring offense in the league to open up games versus the best defense in preventing early points.
The 49ers are second in the league in first half scoring differential (+105 points). They have done so on the strength of a defense allowing a league-low 1.49 points per drive in the first half of games this season.
Both the 49ers & Eagles defenses have sat among the league’s best the entire season.
Not only are they both in the top five in yards allowed per play, but the 49ers lead the NFL in points allowed per drive (1.45) while the Eagles are ninth (1.72 points).
In the Divisional Round, these teams combined to allow two touchdowns on 20 possessions.
The 49ers have forced a turnover on 15.8% of opponent possessions (first) while the Eagles have a takeaway on 14.7% of opponent possessions (third).
These are also two of the best early-down defenses in the league, with the 49ers ranking second in the league in yards allowed per play on first down (4.8) while the Eagles are third (4.8 yards as well, only decimals below without rounding).
The Eagles have played five games against top-10 defenses in EPA allowed per play.
In those games, they dipped down to 1.93 points per drive, with a touchdown on 23.2% of those possessions and scoring on 33.9% of those drives. Jalen Hurts did not start in two of those weeks as a grain of salt, but this will be the best defense the Eagles have faced this season.
The 49ers just played their fourth game of the season against a top-10 defense and their first legitimate test last weekend since Brock Purdy took over as the starting quarterback.
Their 4.9 yards per play on offense were the fewest they have had in a game Purdy has started and ahead of only the Cowboys and Giants this past weekend. They had just three games with fewer yards per play than what they posted on Sunday during the regular season.
Of the four teams that won this past weekend, San Francisco had the lowest third down conversion rate (50%) and lowest red zone conversion rate (33.3%) to go with the fewest yards per play.
The Eagles & 49ers are evenly matched across the board in terms of objective metrics and the overall subjective depth of their rosters.
The one area where the 49ers will once again have to keep answering the call on this week is can Purdy and this offense with him under center punch up in weight class versus another front-end defense while this defense will be tasked with slowing down another offense at the front of the league.
49ers vs Eagles Prediction
The Eagles are predicted to win the NFC Conference Championship game with a 60% implied probability based on current betting lines. The moneyline model also predicts the Eagles will win with 53.5% confidence.
49ers vs Eagles Odds, Spread, Totals & Moneyline:
|49ers||+2.5 -105||45.5 -110||+125|
|Eagles||-2.5 -115||45.5 -110||-150|
49ers vs Eagles Team Comparison:
|37.95%||2||Opp. Rush %||41.46%||10|
|62.05%||31||Opp. Pass %||58.54%||23|
49ers Best Bets Against the Spread
- The 49ers have hit the Moneyline in their last 12 games (+12.00 Units / 27% ROI)
- The 49ers have hit the 2H Moneyline in 10 of their last 12 games (+8.80 Units / 34% ROI)
- The 49ers have covered the Spread in 9 of their last 10 games (+7.90 Units / 72% ROI)
- The 49ers have hit the 4Q Moneyline in 10 of their last 16 games (+7.55 Units / 28% ROI)
- The 49ers have hit the 3Q Moneyline in 9 of their last 12 games (+7.50 Units / 33% ROI)
Eagles Best Bets Against the Spread:
- The Eagles have hit the 1H Game Total Over in 13 of their last 18 games (+8.65 Units / 43% ROI)
- The Eagles have hit the 2Q Game Total Over in 13 of their last 18 games (+8.25 Units / 40% ROI)
- The Eagles have covered the 1H Spread in 13 of their last 18 games (+7.25 Units / 36% ROI)
- The Eagles have hit the Moneyline in 15 of their last 18 games (+6.65 Units / 10% ROI)
- The Eagles have hit the 1H Moneyline in 14 of their last 18 games (+6.55 Units / 13% ROI)
First & Anytime Touchdown Scorer Prediction & Bet for 49ers vs Eagles:
A.J. Brown (WR, Eagles) is our pick for the 1st TD Scorer bet in the NFC Conference Championship game.
Quez Watkins (WR, Eagles) is our pick for an anytime TD Scorer bet in the NFC Conference Championship game.
49ers Against the Spread Record
Against the spread this NFL season, the 49ers have gone 13-6 (+6.4 Units / 30.7% ROI).
- 49ers are 15-4 when betting on the Moneyline for +8.25 Units / 14.02% ROI
- 49ers are 10-9 when betting the Over for +0.1 Units / 0.48% ROI
- 49ers are 9-10 when betting the Under for -2 Units / ROI
Eagles Against the Spread Record
Against the spread this NFL season, the Eagles have gone 9-9 (-0.9 Units / -4.55% ROI).
- Eagles are 15-3 when betting on the Moneyline for +6.65 Units / 9.84% ROI
- Eagles are 10-8 when betting the Over for +1.2 Units / 6.06% ROI
- Eagles are 8-10 when betting the Under for -3 Units / -15.15% ROI
Continue reading from BetMGM’s Eagles vs 49ers game breakdown
Don’t Miss out on our Playoff Recommendations
This year has been another outstanding time to be a betting client at Sharp Football Analysis, with Warren Sharp‘s betting recommendations running extremely hot, going 74% in our last 46 NFL bets to close the season:
- Last 5 weeks in NFL: 34-12 (74%)
- Final 2022 NCAAF Bowls: 18-8 (69%) including 6-0 (100%) on elevated plays
- Final 2022 NFL Futures: 17-5 (77%)
- Final 2022 NFL Regular Season: 92-63 (59%)
- Final 2022 NFL Computer Totals: 37-15 (71%)
- Final 2022 NCAAF Regular Season: 126-94 (57%)
It’s truly been a great season and we’re excited for the playoffs, as it’s been extremely good to us in years past.
Historically, we’ve been outstanding on NFL Playoffs:
- 159-93 (62%) lifetime playoff record
- 25-10 (71%) lifetime Super Bowl record
- 16-6 (73%) on Super Bowl week releases last year (including props)
COUPON CODE for our Playoff Betting Packages:
As a THANK YOU for following us throughout the season, both our betting recommendations and the wonderful content the team produces on the site… we wanted to offer you an option to save and get on board for the playoffs with savings:
- Use coupon code SAVE150 for $150 off a Postseason-Long All-Access Postseason betting package.
Hurry, as this sale ends soon AND even sooner, we’ll be releasing written game previews and NFL Playoff bets to follow and props when lines are posted.